Sun Surf Karajishi Botan - Special Edition
The Karajishi Botan shirt by Sun Surf draws inspiration from a late 1930s Hawaiian shirt found in the archives. It was first reprinted in 2001, and after high demand, released again 20 years later as a limited special edition.
The name Karajishi Botan means "lion and peony." The Karajishi is a mythical lion often found as a statue outside guarding Buddhist temples. They are here depicted next to peonies, which in turn guard them from an insect that is the Karajishi's only weakness.
This fabric is made of 100% cotton chintz, or sarasa, a textured fabric often found in komonos. Sun Surf sought to reproduce the details of the original fabric as close as possible, from spinning and weaving, to the wrinkled texture of the shirt. The fabric is narrower than regular shirt fabric, and thus requires two pieces sewn together for the back.
For the print, Sun Surf uses the same historical reactive dyeing found in the Yuzen dyeing technique that prevents one color from combining with another. However, within the two colors, there are natural gradients from light to dark blurred together using a process called Tataki.
- 100% cotton chintz
- Coconut button from palm nuts
- Resist dyeing printing
What it’s made out of
- 100% cotton chintz
Where it's Made
Fit & Measurement
- We recommend taking your normal shirt size size for a slim fit or sizing up for a roomier fit
- Andrew is 5'10" 175lbs and wears a size medium
Shipping & Returns
- World-wide shipping via (USPS/UPS/FedEx/DHL). You will receive a tracking number via email.
- Low flat rate shipping. Free shipping over $250 on domestic orders. Please see "Shipping, Returns, and Exchanges" under our "INFO" tab on any page for up-to-date shipping rates.
- Most packages are shipped via USPS or UPS in the lower 48.
- Orders shipped to an APO/DPO address are shipped via USPS.
- International orders are shipped primarily through DHL or UPS. Please be aware that the customer is responsible for any local customs or duties placed on the package upon arrival. As we ship worldwide, we have no knowledge of country specific import taxes, so please refer to guidance from your local government.
- We accept returns for full refunds within seven (7) days of the order delivery date.
- Store credit for returns will be issued within fourteen (14) days of the order delivery.
- All Items for return or exchanges must be postmarked within the seven (7) day period after authorization.
- We carry limited quantities of many items. To ensure an exchange can be fulfilled, contact us at email@example.com.
- Franklin and Poe is not responsible for shipping costs on exchanges or returns.
- We only accept items for return or exchange if they are in new condition with original tags, unworn and unaltered.
- All merchandise purchased on sale, grooming products, underwear, and consignment are final.
Freenote Cloth Modern Western - 11oz Bleached Denim with Turquoise Snaps
Our best selling Freenote Cloth is a very limited edition of their Modern Western shirt, that's been bleached and pimped out with custom Italian turquoise buttons. The fabric is their...
Iron Heart IHSH-311-GRN Ultra Heavy Flannel Tartan Check Western Shirt - Green
As heavyweight flannels go, the Iron Heart Ultra Heavy Flannels are the champs. The UHFs are an annual, limited release of original crazy check colorways that are never reproduced. But...
Iron Heart IHSH-317-YEL 9oz Selvedge Ombré Check Work Shirt - Yellow
Iron Heart's classic work shirt silhouette in a 9oz selvedge unbrushed cotton flannel. The darkest shade in the pattern is rope dyed indigo, and the yellow and green are sulphur...
Iron Heart IHSH-317-IND 9oz Selvedge Ombré Check Work Shirt - Indigo
Iron Heart's classic work shirt silhouette in a 9oz selvedge unbrushed cotton flannel. The darkest shade in the pattern is rope dyed indigo, and the lighter blues are sulphur dyed,...